Global Studies is an interdisciplinary program of study that provides a strong foundation in the analysis of contemporary global issues. The requirements of the major enrich, complement, and coordinate departmental offerings with the goals of:
- providing knowledge of diverse cultures: their social, economic and political interactions and impacts on the world;
- developing skills for successfully negotiating realities of contemporary societies;
- fostering values that respect diverse ways of living and deepen commitment to sustainability.
News and Events
- Introducing THREE exciting Capstone Options!
- LAS Global Studies now offers three capstone options as a culminating undergraduate integrative learning experience for students interested in grappling with global studies issues beyond their Major Plan of Study. Talk to an advisor about doing a Distinction Project, Faculty Research Assistance, or Internship today!
- Posted Wed, 16 Apr 2014
- Global Studies COURSE IDEAS lists for SUMMER and FALL 2014 available!
- Students must work with advisors to determine whether courses on this list will work with your Major Plan of Study. Courses should be considered as OPTIONS. We recommend that you review the courses, narrow down your interests, and plan a schedule for yourself before seeing an advisor. Some courses may require pre-reqs or instructor permission. Every registration period is also a good time to review your DARS report to see which requirements (gen eds and requirements for the GS major or minor) you still need to do.
- Posted Mon, 31 Mar 2014
- LAS Global Studies Director, Tom Bassett, receives the Sheth Distinguished Faculty Award for International Achievement
- Congratulations to Professor Tom Bassett, Director of LAS Global Studies, on receiving the Sheth Distinguished Faculty Award for International Achievement! The Sheth Distinguished Faculty Award for International Achievement is presented to a faculty member with profound international accomplishments in teaching, research and public service. Dr. Bassett is being honored for his seminal contributions to the field of political ecology and his pioneering work and its impact on policy discussions surrounding issues such as global climate change, poverty and rural development. He has conducted field research for 33 yers in Côte D'Ivoire as well as Maili and Burkina Faso. His current research examines the relationship between agricultural diversification and farmer incomes in West Africa. The award also recognizes Dr. Bassett's mentorship of international and Illinois scholars interested in exploring interdisciplinary dimensions of contemporary global environment and development issues. We congratulate Dr. Bassett on this impressive achievement!
- Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014
- Interested in a Global Studies Major or Minor?
- Attend an info session in 2014! Click here for dates and times!
- Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014
- 4/18/2014 - All day
Engineering Ethics, Justice and Policy in Societal Risk Management
Last Day to Drop or C/NC 2nd 8-Week Course
- 11:30 am
Sociology Department Brown Bag
- 12:00 pm
UNDERSTANDING EDUCATIONAL DIVERSITY AROUND THE WORLD: Indonesia
- 12:00 pm
UNDERSTANDING EDUCATIONAL DIVERSITY AROUND THE WORLD: Sri Lanka
- 12:00 pm
Lecture: New Kids on the Block: A Complete Changeover of Europe’s Leadership in 2014