Global Studies is an interdisciplinary program of study that provides a strong foundation in the analysis of contemporary global issues. The requirements of the major enrich, complement, and coordinate departmental offerings with the goals of:
- providing knowledge of diverse cultures: their social, economic and political interactions and impacts on the world;
- developing skills for successfully negotiating realities of contemporary societies;
- fostering values that respect diverse ways of living and deepen commitment to sustainability.
News and Events
- Global Studies COURSE IDEAS lists for SUMMER and FALL 2014 available!
- Students must work with advisors to determine whether courses on this list will work with your Major Plan of Study. Courses should be considered as OPTIONS. We recommend that you review the courses, narrow down your interests, and plan a schedule for yourself before seeing an advisor. Some courses may require pre-reqs or instructor permission. Every registration period is also a good time to review your DARS report to see which requirements (gen eds and requirements for the GS major or minor) you still need to do.
- Posted Mon, 31 Mar 2014
- LAS Global Studies Director, Tom Bassett, receives the Sheth Distinguished Faculty Award for International Achievement
- Congratulations to Professor Tom Bassett, Director of LAS Global Studies, on receiving the Sheth Distinguished Faculty Award for International Achievement! The Sheth Distinguished Faculty Award for International Achievement is presented to a faculty member with profound international accomplishments in teaching, research and public service. Dr. Bassett is being honored for his seminal contributions to the field of political ecology and his pioneering work and its impact on policy discussions surrounding issues such as global climate change, poverty and rural development. He has conducted field research for 33 yers in Côte D'Ivoire as well as Maili and Burkina Faso. His current research examines the relationship between agricultural diversification and farmer incomes in West Africa. The award also recognizes Dr. Bassett's mentorship of international and Illinois scholars interested in exploring interdisciplinary dimensions of contemporary global environment and development issues. We congratulate Dr. Bassett on this impressive achievement!
- Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014
- Interested in a Global Studies Major or Minor?
- Attend an info session in 2014! Click here for dates and times!
- Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014
- Global Studies students receive study abroad scholarships from UIUC International Programs and Studies
- Global Studies would like to congratulate Courtney Romolt (China) and Christian Sicat (Costa Rica) for receiving the Mary E. Mohler International Study Grant for $2,500 to study abroad. International Programs and Studies also awarded Rachel Bowlus (Morocco) the Earl and Janice Kellogg International Award for $1,000 to study abroad, Leah Matchett (China) the Carlene and Andy Ziegler Study Abroad Scholarship for $2,000 to study abroad and Christine Kausal (Japan) received the Friends of IPS Scholarship for $2,500 to study abroad. Congratulations!
- Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013
- 8:30 am - 6:00 pm
Inaugural Latina/Latino Studies Symposium - "Vulnerable Bodies: Latina/o Health, Migration, and Security"
- 1:30 pm
Illinois/Washington University Graduate Student Exchange
- 1:30 pm
Property Rights in Ocean Fisheries
- 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
MODERN GREEK – Conversation Table in Modern Greek
- 4:00 pm
Nikolai Leskov's Stylistics
- 4:00 pm
CLASSICS - Margaret Malamud, Professor of History, New Mexico State University: "Fighting for the Classics: African Americans and the Classics, 1770s-1910s"