Carla A Santos
RECREATION, SPORT & TOURISM; Affiliated Faculty of Recreation, Sport and Tourism
- Address: 104 Huff Hall
- Telephone: (217)244-1937
- Email: email@example.com
Cultures in Contact, Knowledge, Communication, and Information Systems
Research and Professional Interests
Dr. Santos is the co-director of the Tourism Lab for Economic and Social Behavior Research. She serves on the editorial boards of Annals of Tourism Research, Journal of Travel Research, Tourism Culture and Communication, and the Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management. Her research program is focused on the examination of communicative practices (from mass mediated narratives to the face-to-face dyad) as a means of addressing the socio-political and cultural impact of tourism on the world's people and cultures.
Socio-cultural and political aspects of tourism.
The personalized worlds of experience guided by tourism representations.
The ideological forces that shape and organize tourism representations.
- Bowen, S. . "Quality Tourism Experiences? ." State of knowledge: Mass media and its relationship to perceptions of quality. . Ed. G. Jennings and N. Nickerson. Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann., 2005. 23-37.
- Santos, Carla, and Grace Yan. "Representational Politics in Chinatoen." Annals of Tourism Research 35.4 (2008): 879-899.
- Caton, Kellee, and Carla Santos. "Images of the Other: Selling Study Abroad in a Postcolonial World.." Journal of Travel Research (2009):
- Grace, Yan, and Carla Santos. " “China, Forever”: Tourism Discourse and Self-Orientalism." Annals of Tourism Research 36 (2009): 295-316.
- santos, carla. "Tourism as Science and Science as Tourism: Imagining, Experiencing, and Portraying Environment, Society, Self, and Other in Papua New Guinea. A Commentary.." Current Anthropology, 49.4 (2008): 616.