Global Markets and Society Minor
The application period deadline has been extended! The application period has been extended to Monday, March 6th at 5pm. Click here to fill out the application and Intent to Declare form. You must print the completed form, sign it and bring it to the Global Studies Office by March 6th.
Information Sessions for Spring 2017 Have Be Announced!
Students interested in pursuing this minor should attend an upcoming information session. All information sessions are held in the LAS Global Studies Conference Room located at 703 S. Wright Street, 3rd floor (above Women's Resources Center).
Thursday, January 26th, 11-11:30am
Wednesday, February 15th, 10:30-11am
Wednesday, March 15th, 1:30-2pm
Wednesday, April 19th, 11-11:30am
Minor in Global Markets and Society - New in Fall 2016!!
The Minor in Global Markets & Society builds a strong foundation in the liberal arts and sciences for the study of global market-society relations. You develop a holistic understanding of the forces shaping global markets through an interdisciplinary curriculum that integrates historical, cultural, political, economic, and geographic perspectives. You will study topics such as corporate social responsibility, fair trade, global supply chains, and sustainable business practices from a social science perspective.
Why invest in a liberal arts perspective to study global markets?
Employers are recruiting liberal arts majors for their cultural sensitivity and ability to think outside the box. Interdisciplinary training promotes critical thinking, problem solving, strong communication and adaptability in intercultural environments--skills that are highly relevant in the global marketplace. The minor provides you with a credential that demonstrates your capacity to navigate a globalized world.
Should I pursue this Minor if I am not interested in a business career?
Whether you want to work in the global economy or simply understand how it works, this minor prepares you for multiple career options.
How do I declare the minor?
The minor in Global Markets and Society is open to all undergraduates at the University of Illinois. To declare the minor, you must:
- have completed 30 hours of undergraduate coursework
- be in good academic standing (A GPA of 2.0 or above)
- complete the minor application, providing a statement of intent to pursue the minor
What coursework will I need to obtain the minor?
To successfully complete the minor, you must complete the following:
- Foundation course, GLBL 270: Global Markets & Society (offered in spring semester)
- Six hours of coursework from the pre-approved courses
- Nine hours of pre-approved coursework in a specialization track which include:
- Global Markets and Governance
- Science, Technology and Markets
- Global Encounters
- Markets, Develpment and the Environment
- The Global Workforce
- Analytical Approaches and Languages
You also have the option to complete a capstone project to bring your academic curriculum together through:
- Internship or field experience in a market-focused organization
- Research with a faculty member or;
- Analytical or research paper written under faculty guidance
For more information contact the LAS Global Studies Office at 217-333-0178 or email@example.com.